Thursday, December 20, 2007

Who to root for this week

With the Vikings on the verge of a play-off spot, here's who to root for:

Panthers over Cowboys
Really I don't care as much about a potential Vikings-Packers second round rematch as I do clinching a play-off spot, and eliminating the Panthers means one less set of footsteps padding up behind the Vikings. Plus if the Giants continue to collapse, the Vikings can make Packer fans nervous by winning the top wild card spot, so I'm tempted to root for the Cowboys. On the other hand, if the Cowboys stay hungry, they'll give a tougher game to the Redskins in their final game, and I'm more worried about them than the Panthers who still have the Buccaneers to finish them off. So basically I'll vote for nobody getting any rest and root for the Panthers.

Eagles over Saints
While the Eagles hold tie-breakers over the Vikings, the Saints and Redskins are the only realistic threat to overtake the Vikings. I really want to see the Saints lose an NFC conference game and make it impossible for them to control their own destiny (I'll check common opponent tie-breakers later).

Bills over Giants
Personally I always root for the Giants to lose ($#*@'ing Manning) but if they lose one more game this season, the Vikings control their own destiny and can win out to get the top wild card spot (it's good to hold the tie-breaker).

Packers over Bears
It's always good to see the Packers lose, and I doubt they'll catch the Cowboys anyways, but it's better to keep the Packers and Cowboys heavily invested in the regular season, and the Packers need to win for that to happen. If the Cowboys are worried about the Packers, they'll play their starters against the Redskins, possibly bailing out the Vikings (should they blow it Sunday night) and I want our potential second round opponents to have as few weeks off as possible. Plus I hate both teams, so I want to see them upset by the Seahawks or Buccaneers, so the more tired and beat up they are the better.

Buccaneers vs 49ers
Ravens vs Seahawks
I think the Buccaneers are a dead lock to beat the lowly 49ers, so I'm rooting for the Seahawks to win as well and keep the pressure up in week 16 for who gets the easier draw (warm weather vs cold, amongst other things). Really I just don't want the Bucs and Seahawks resting starters in week 17.

Vikings over Redskins
Beat the Redskins, and only the Saints can survive (and only if they beat the Eagles). For the Vikings the play-offs start this week, and they have to beat the Redskins or hope the Cowboys and Bears get them get the back door. And I know a certain Viking fan in Near North is always up for a little ride'em cowboy backdoor action with a Chicago bear, but we really still want to beat the Redskins.

No comments:

Post a Comment